GitLab is my first all-remote job, with the handbook being a great helpful resource. I'm iterating over the months on finding the best equipment, shared on this page.
The standing desk and curved monitor reasons are detailed in this blog post.
- IKEA Bekant standing desk, white stained oak veneer, black (160x80 cm / 63x31.5")
- IKEA Markus office chair, best experience for my back since 2010
- Samsung 34" premium curved monitor with USB-C (C34H982, H980 series)
- Logitech webcam C930e
- Apple Magic Keyboard and Trackpad 2, space grey
- Twelve South Curve Macbook stand
- Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700
- CharJenPro USB-C hub adapter & Belkin USB-C/VGA adapter
- Yubico Yubikey 5Ci USB-C/Lightning
I've updated the ceiling light in November 2020 with a dimmable Philips Hue, and then added an Elgato Key Light on the front right. The main reasons are:
- Zoom calls in PT mornings (CET evenings) need a smooth similar background lighting. Previous 3 LED spots were chaos.
- Good lighting is easy on the eyes, and helps next to the monitor. Personal wellbeing investment, following a suggestion from Nico.
- Elgato Key Light, Professional Studio LED Panel with 2800 lumens
- Philips Hue White Amb. Fair LED Ceiling Light with Dimmer Switch
Audio and Streaming
I've updated the microphone and streaming setup in June 2021, with more details in this blog post.
- Shure SM7B Dynamic Vocal Microphone - primary, recording & streaming
- Shure A26X 3" Desk Stand Extension Tube - extending the arm & microphone
- Ugreen Microphone Cable High Quality XLR Male to XLR Female Black - quality cables
- Røde PSA1 articulated arm stand - less expensive, aligns perfectly with the Shure microphone
- PreSonus Studio 24c USB C Audio Interface - connected to & powered by the Macbook
- Cloud Microphones, Cloudlifter, CL-1, Microphone Amplifier - 25 dB more gain
- JLAB Talk Go microphone - secondary, calls & coffee chats
- Corsair Elgato Stream Deck LCD Buttons - streaming deck
- 2.6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
- 16 GB RAM
- AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
- 512 GB SSD
Apps and settings
Insights into my workday
I've played around with backgrounds and found the personal easter eggs more appealing. How many can you spot? :-)