GitLab is my first all-remote job, with the handbook being a great helpful resource. I'm iterating over the months on finding the best equipment, shared on this page.
The standing desk and curved monitor reasons are detailed in this blog post.
- IKEA Bekant standing desk, white stained oak veneer, black (160x80 cm / 63x31.5")
- Samsung 34" premium curved monitor with USB-C (C34H982, H980 series)
- Logitech webcam C930e
- Apple Magic Keyboard and Trackpad 2, space grey
- Twelve South Curve Macbook stand
- Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700
- CharJenPro USB-C hub adapter & Belkin USB-C/VGA adapter
- Yubico Yubikey 5Ci USB-C/Lightning
I've updated the ceiling light in November 2020 with a dimmable Philips Hue, and then added an Elgato Key Light on the front right. The main reasons are:
- Zoom calls in PT mornings (CET evenings) need a smooth similar background lighting. Previous 3 LED spots were chaos.
- Good lighting is easy on the eyes, and helps next to the monitor. Personal wellbeing investment, following a suggestion from Nico.
- Elgato Key Light, Professional Studio LED Panel with 2800 lumens
- Philips Hue White Amb. Fair LED Ceiling Light with Dimmer Switch
- 2.6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
- 16 GB RAM
- AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
- 512 GB SSD
Apps and settings
Insights into my workday
I've played around with backgrounds and found the personal easter eggs more appealing. How many can you spot? :-)